We're a vibrant Anglican church in the town of St Peter Port in the beautiful island of Guernsey. Our vision is to be an authentic community of faith committed to making and growing disciples of Jesus Christ.
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1789 and we are very fond of our building. The real church though is a gathering of people and we are a church community gathered from across the island that meets on Sundays in 5 different congregations and in smaller groups during the week. We are part of the Church of England in the Deanery of Guernsey and the Diocese of Salisbury.
We believe that when we put our faith in Jesus Christ and seek to be his followers or disciples we come into an open and loving relationship with our creator God. This is good news! As a church community we want to grow in our relationship with God and also share this good news with others.
Therefore we believe that our calling under God is to be a community of faith committed to making and growing disciples of Jesus Christ.
Our priorities are:
Helping people grow as disciples of Jesus Christ (UP) ↑
Building a stronger sense of community within Holy Trinity (IN) ←
Partnering with God to make disciples of Jesus Christ (OUT)
A Brief History
Holy Trinity was built in 1789 and was known then as 'La Chapelle de la Trinite'. Its foundation probably is connected with the visit of John Wesley to Guernsey in 1787 and evangelical Bible based teaching has been maintained ever since the inception of the chapel.
The foundation stone of the building was laid by the then Bailiff of Guernsey - William Le Marchant, and the building was opened on the 5th July 1789 as a propriety chapel (or chapel of ease) to the Parish Church of St Peter Port for the better accommodation of the French congregation. The chapel was erected at a cost of £2,990 and the sale of the pew seats on completion amounted to an income of £3,280.10.0, so the venture was sound!
However, some 57 years later the proprietors consented to sell the chapel for £1,200 to the patrons of the future church, the Rt. Rev. Charles Sumner D.D., Lord Bishop of Winchester and 5 other gentlemen who became the first Trustees.
The 15th June 1846 saw the completion of the purchase of the church by the Trustees from the Elders of Trinity Chapel and on the 4th August 1846 the church was consecrated and dedicated to the Holy Trinity by the Lord Bishop of Winchester. The first Vicar was the Rev. Robert W.Kyle. Since then there have been 17 ministers including the present vicar, Jon Honour.